Sunday, November 9, 2008

fruit of the loom?



Emily went away to camp for the first time this past summer and she cannot stop talking about it. I mean seriously, she did not really want to come home!  She constantly talks about all the things she needs for next year and makes tons of "powerpoints" to make lists of things she needs....you know......NEEDS!  

This past year we borrowed a trunk from a friend as we were unsure if this was something that we were going to do on a continuous basis and i did not want to dump a whole lotta cash (any more than we had) into something that could have very well been a one shot wonder. When we got to camp, I was amazed at all of the trunks and how DECORATED they were.  They are not just plain black trunks anymore my friends....oh no...they have names on them, they are painted with scenery and monogrammed.  Hell, I fully expected to see some of these to stand upright and be a full on closet inside with clothes on hangers, draws, the whole shebang...they truly were in a class by themselves.  And there was our oh so sad and boring black truck, it stuck out like a 1 in a sea of 10's.  and those that know me,  SO not my thing...overboard?  in my opinion, oh yes.  But still there it is....what are you to do?  I tell you what you do...you paint your trunk next time, that is what you do! And of course, it is not enough for your kid to do this, they must be completed by professionals...you know everything is a competition these days :(  Anyhoo, a good friend of mine, let's call her Christy, cause you know that is her name :)  She is like way talented in the "can do anything"domestic goddess department.  You know these types, they can literally DO anything....monogram a pillow case? yeah, they got the machine for that right in the laundry room.  Paint a pony on the ceiling?  sure should only take a couple of hours?  homemade valentines?  all in an afternoons work!  cookies and homemade ice cream when the kids get home from school....yep! got it covered!  (to this day I have NEVER made homemade cookies...NEVER and do not plan on it anytime in the future...i dont even like cookies!  so anyway, it is a damn good thing christy is much awesomeness or i would feel really really unworthy to be in her presence!  wait...i am off track....

So Christy's daughter, Catherine and my Emily went to camp together (along with 2 other friends)....The other day emily says to me. "Hey mom, when we get my trunk i need to think of something really creative to paint on it."  "um, sure, i guess emily. what do you have in mind?"I am looking at her super sweet face.  then she says, "well catherine has the fruit- of -the -loom stuff all over hers."  I then look at her perplexed, "Fruit-of-the-loom?  really?  that is weird. why does she have that on her trunk?"...exasperated, she looks at me and lets out a sigh, "mom, you know it is a song?"...then she proceeds to sing the song....something...something...something  "fruit-of-the-loom"....I look at her, my sweet, sweet, naive completely unobservant beautiful little girl ....and said, "erm, emme.  i think you mean fruits of the spirit"....she stares for a bit and says..."oh yeah,  that is it!  so what is fruit-of-the-loom anyway?"......WOW~ it is amazing how that apple fell right outta this tree!

Now Grace is going next summer as well, so come February I will be crying as we are deciding on the decorations for these trunks....help?????


2 comments:

Happy Campers said...

I didn't even know they needed a trunk for camp? How long was she gone? Good luck with the decorating!! I want to see pics :)

my so-called life said...

yes mame a trunk....a decorated trunk! why dont i buy it and bring it over to your house and you can decorate it with them? ha...crafty and wendy are NOT synonomous! It was just a week. short to her, long to me...i really missed her, but when I picked her up she was SO happy and had such a great time, it made it all worthwhile! There are a TON of kids from around here that go to Pine Cove...! she wanted to go the year before, but i would not let her. Now of course grace gets to go a year earlier and William will probably get to go two years earlier. Those poor firstborns are such guinea pigs :)